Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Great Thrift! Thrifting Tips 1 of 3: Being Prepared

I want to share with ya'll my top 3 thrifting tips. One tip a week for 3 weeks. I find great items at my neighborhood thrift stores, and I know you can too! If thrifting seems intimidating, this series is for you!

Tip 1: Be Prepared 

Today I am writing about being prepared. You are thinking I am crazy to be prepared to go to a thrift store, right?! Well, here are a few things that I find very useful while thrifting.

Bribes: For small children that may accompany you! Stickers, lollipops, etc. I don't always use the bribes, if I am running in quickly to find a calculator vs. going and searching for a pair of jeans.
 

Small tape measure-especially for picture frames and wall art.

Jewelry Loupe- if you are looking for certain vintage jewelry, glassware, etc, sometimes the hallmarks are hard to see with the naked eye and having a loupe is handy. I dont carry mine anymore, since I dont really collect anything other than Pyrex, which is clearly marked.

Index card of sizes/measurements: I have to write stuff down to remember it. So I write the sizes for my husband, kids and I down, as well as anyone else I might buy a gift/treasure for. Nothing like finding a great shirt for grandpa but then not knowing what size he wears!

Also, I know my favorite brands AND how they fit me/kids. I know that JCrew tshirts run huge on me and that I need a certain waist size in designer jeans vs. Old Navy jeans. I really hate trying stuff on so it is imperative that I know my sizes. Also handy to know European sizing, especially for designer shoes or brands like Lacoste and Boden.

I hope you find these tips helpful and you find a treasure too! Stay tuned for Tip 2 next Tuesday!!




4 comments:

  1. I really need to write down my husbands jean size. I can't tell you how many times I've texted him to see if he'll fit in the fabulous jeans I just found. I also love the idea of writing down your size in different brands, what a time saver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips, I'm always impressed and the great things you find at thrift shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the size card idea. Looking forward to more tips in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tips!! I've always wanted to be a master thrifter but it's so true...it can be overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your lovely thoughts.