Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Barefoot Books: Our Weekly Faves and a SALE!


I am excited to share some of my latest Barefoot Books favorites with yall! Lately we have been trying to get into a real rhythm around here and it has been tough. But something we make time for everyday (albeit unscheduled time) is reading and some quiet time with books.
Here is what we have been loving lately from my Bexar County Bookstore/Barefoot Books Store. Keep in mind that the links take you to my store, where I earn a commission if items are purchased.

My Preschooler Loves:

World Atlas! Yeah, yeah I know I have raved about this before BUUUT it continues to captivate both children's attention. I recently put the World Atlas in a place of honor on our bookshelf. I feel like it needs its very own table or cart, ha! The illustrations are so clear and beautiful that my son feels like he can "read" the book to us, which is a big plus for him. The neat lift the flaps throughout keep him busy too. Every time we look at this book, we notice something new. It doesn't hurt that it is a big hardcover with thick pages. Easy to turn for his little hands (especially since he doesn't have much patience for fine motor skill suff, sometimes slippery thin pages really frustrate him).


Storytime: First Tales for Sharing. This is a collection of 7 folk tales and is one of my very favorites. I have a story that just made me smile from ear to ear when it happened: This book comes with a CD in which Jim Broadbent (British gent who is known for his awesome story telling skills) tells the stories. For some reason we listened to the CD in the car before we actually read the book, rare for us. Well, my son loved "The Gingerbread Man". He would ask for it every time we went anywhere in the car. Keep in mind that my son never saw the book, it was *somewhere* in his room. One day he was in his room, messing with his books as usual. Suddenly I hear "Run, run as fast as you can! You can't catch me I'm the GINGERBREAD MAN!" Ah, I thought, "Did he find the book?" Sure enough. Then he continued, in excited tones, with perfect emphasis on certain words, much like Mr. Broadbent's to "read" the story, turning the pages at the appropriate times. BE STILL MY HEART.

Not a book but a fave:

Putamayo Animal Playground CD! We all love it. And I don't usually like the same music as my children. There are 13 songs in English, Spanish, French and German.

On our wish list:
All of the new Cleo the Cat board books. Cleo is who got us started with Barefoot Books, so we will always have room for her!
The Three Billy Goats Gruff

BIG NEWS. On the website, through midnight October 31, 2013, use code SPOOKY to get a lucky 13% off your order. Can be used on items that are already 20% off in our HARVEST Sale. Free shipping with orders over $60. Let me know what you are looking for and I can help you out.


1 comment:

  1. I remember Putamayo from when my kids were little. We had World Playground. It was my second favorite after Lucas Miller CDs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your lovely thoughts.