Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Favorite Poetry Books For Children

It's been a little over a year that I have made a conscious effort to increase the amount of poetry read aloud in our home. It's going well, although we could always read more. Having books of poems easily accessible really helps with our goal. I was fortunate to buy a few poetry books used, but others will be purchased new. One book at a time, one poem at a time, we will come together and laugh, sigh or jump for joy. Poetry does not have to be too serious, stuffy or painful. Instead, it can be easy, fun, and very accessible for both caregiver and child.


Tied for first place in my home, these first two books both have amazing illustrations, as well as a wide variety of poems to fit various themes.

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children has a wide selection, is divided by subject, selected by Jack Prelutsky and is illustrated by Arnold Lobel. And who doesn't love Mr. Lobel's illustrations?

Stunning watercolor illustrations throughout, and produced by indie children's book publisher Barefoot Books, The Barefoot Book of Poems is a must have for any home library. This book captivates not only children, but has such a well rounded selection of poems, that I recommend it for anyone, regardless of age.

My next picks are the poetry books by A.A Milne. These dear, sweet, slim volumes have been requested to be read on repeat in my house. There is a set that includes all three titles,  Pooh's Library: Winnie-The-Pooh, The House At Pooh Corner, When We Were Very Young, Now We Are Six (Pooh Original Edition).

Third is The Harp and Laurel Wreath: Poetry and Dictation for the Classical Curriculum, a wonderful book even if you aren't homeschooling classically. Definitely a book that will grow with you and your children.

We love the Shel Silverstein Books, as well as the newly discovered and ordered Eric Carle's Animals Animals, a collection of poems about, well, animals.

Do you have any favorite poetry books in your home? Have you read them aloud? I would love to hear your favorites!

Disclosure: I may be an affiliate for certain products that I recommend. If you purchase those items through my links I will earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link. Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

  1. We can't get enough of A Child's Book of Poems (Fujikawa). My three year old already has several of the short poems memorized just from me reading them repeatedly. We also have enjoyed the collection of A Children's Books of Verses (E. Kincaid), as several of them make for very fun, lively readings ('Cat' by Eleanor Farjeon has become a sort of performance art piece here!) although I do think some of the poems and illustrations are a little mature for sensitive toddlers, so previewing for the individual child might be a good idea with this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your lovely thoughts.