Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

January: Thrifting and Sewing

January has been quite an interesting month. I have thrifted like I have never thrifted before and have found some awesome things (see previous post). I found that my kids like a big thrift store over a little thrift store and they enjoy looking at kooky, old, silly stuff. Sometimes we talk about where the item might have come from, how old it is and more.
I fell into teaching sewing and realized that I absolutely love it. Since the first couple of lessons I developed a supply list and two lesson plans. This has really put sewing at a priority for me and I NEEDED that. The first lesson I taught led to me cutting out a dress pattern and fabric for my daughter, after the next lesson I stitched most of it up. I set out my sewing things like I do clothes and other important things: set it out the night before. If that happens, then its at the top of my list mentally. Doing this, sewing, sharing, benefiting from this craft has really done something for my energy level and overall creativity. It's great. So here is my encouragement to just do one thing for you talent or passion per day.
We have been reading but not as much as in the past. I feel like December threw us off for different reasons and I haven't gotten back on track. We still go to the library at least once a week (we are actually at our max for checking out books per library rules), but storytime during the day has been less. The kids still listen to audio books, and we started to read Mr. Popper's Penguins as a family read aloud (I actually want to do the FamliyDinner Book Club). I have been fine tuning our homeschool routine/schedule/tasks and its getting better each time. I scored a ton of free prek-k teaching items (posters, lessons, activities, etc) from a neighbor and the kids are enjoying it immensely.

Oh, and is it just me or is it time for some pre-Spring cleaning?

What are you doing this month? Any big plans for February?

1 comment:

  1. I want to learn how to sew better. I have a leather slay bed that my cats have RUINED that I need to recover before any guests come to stay with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your lovely thoughts.