Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Goodwill Finds: DIY Kid's Writing Center

*Disclosure: I was given a Goodwill gift card to purchase the materials used in this blog post*

Lately we have been trying to encourage drawing, painting and all sorts of creative expression, especially those that require some fine motor skills. My son has never been a kid who likes to color or write...until last week, when he started drawing random things and writing letters. It was a nice surprise for me and I want to continue to encourage this. I follow a lot of teachers on Pinterest, so I have seen a lot of "writing centers" that they have in their schools. I was inspired to make a home writing center.



What store did I go to first? Goodwill here in San Antonio. (If you know me, that probably would have been your first guess).

I found some ugly (grey and black!!) paper trays, brand new in package colored pencils and markers, and a basket (everything was .99 each). I even "splurged" and bought a fun stencil book too (it was .99 also).

I had some spray paint for plastic so I made the paper trays look way more fun in red. I added paper and the stencil book to the paper trays, and compartmentalized the markers and pencils in the basket. It is simple and organized enough for little people to enjoy!
This is such a quick project, and having a special spot just for my son's writing tools and paper makes me feel more organized. He is thrilled to have his own personalized space too.


I am on the hunt for some clipboards to add to the writing center in case we want to draw outside. What could you find at Goodwill for your kids' writing centers?

P.S. While I was at the store, I scored some great kids clothing too! I scored a Lacoste shirt for my son ($1.99) and the girls onesie (Buster Brown, brand new Vintage!) dress and romper were .99 cents each. You never know what you will find, or when. Make a circle around the store and keep your eyes open. Happy thrifting!

7 comments:

  1. How do you keep P from getting into his writing things? I haven't been able to keep any "school" stuff low due to the toddler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep the writing stuff, glue, etc on top of a shelf that L can reach but P can't get at too easily. She can grab some stuff, some days she ignores it completely...other days she wants to be like brother! He is learning if he doesnt pick up his stuff she WILL play with it.

      Delete
  2. A place just for the kiddos is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea of an area just for kids to write and draw! I share my office with the kids (I have a desk and they each have their own desks too) but it's been getting cluttered. I'd love to clean it out and have their desks be more of a clean center of creativity. Thanks for sparking this idea for me, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen, that is so cool how you have a shared office with them! Glad to spark ideas with you anytime. Happy you stopped by!

      Delete
  4. Great inspiration! Goodwill is a great resource to create a learning environment for you kids at LOW COST.

    The red paint looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for sharing your lovely thoughts.